The London Islamic School believes in promoting a positive school climate which reflects our Islamic beliefs and heritage. Our code of conduct is in conjunction with the Ministry of Education’s Parents’ Guide to the Ontario Code of Conduct.
A positive school climate and a safe learning and teaching environment are essential if students are to succeed in school. A positive school climate means everyone feels they are welcome and respected. All students, parents, teachers and staff have the right to be safe, and feel safe, in their school community. With this right comes the responsibility for everyone to be accountable for their actions and contribute to a positive school climate.
The code of conduct applies to everyone involved in the publicly funded school system, including parents or guardians, volunteers, students, teachers and other staff members. The code applies whether on school property, on school buses, at school authorized events or activities, or in other circumstances that could have an impact on the school climate.
The following are the roles and responsibilities for parents of our school community, as stated in the Ontario Guide, to ensure compliance to the Parent Code of Conduct:
- show an active interest in their child’s school work and progress
- communicate regularly with the school
- make sure their child is neat, properly dressed and prepared for school
- ensure that their child attends school regularly and on time
- inform the school promptly about their child’s absence or late arrival
- become familiar with the provincial code of conduct, the mosque’s code of conduct and school rules
- encourage and help their child follow the rules of behaviour
- help school staff deal with disciplinary issues involving their child
Parents play an important role in the education of their children and can support the efforts of school staff in maintaining a safe and respectful learning environment for all students.